Thursday, May 14, 2015

Journey of 3...and a Mommy

So almost a year ago today we began our journey with our 3rd round of IVF.  Knowing the first 2 rounds failed, we were extremely nervous and scared to begin our 3rd round.  In Illinois, insurance pays for 4 trials of IVF and being on our 3rd we felt our hope for a family slipping away.  For two weeks I had daily medicine injections.  On June 10, we went in for egg retrieval.  Doctors called and said 7 eggs fertilized but now we had to wait and see if any would become viable embryos.  Fast forward to day 3 and we were told it was time to transfer.  At the hospital we learned that of the 7 eggs, only 1 egg was good quality with 3 more being of "okay" quality, but nowhere near as good as the 1 good egg.  After discussing our options with the doctor, we decided to put in 3 eggs knowing our chances were very slim that this would work.  So, on the morning of Friday, June 13, we transferred 3 eggs with the hope that maybe it would work this time.  SO...for two weeks we waited and on June 30th, we found out that it worked and we were pregnant!  Fast forward to July 18th for our first ultrasound. From my bloodwork, the numbers were leading the doctors to think there might possibly be multiples.  Mark and I went in with the hopes of there being 2 little blessings to be seen.  However, in for the shock of our lives when there were not 2 but 3 little miracles on the screen!  Never in our wildest dreams did we think that all 3 little eggs would take!
   Throughout the entire pregnancy I cherished each and every moment, from the good to the bad and the exciting to the scary.  I must say I am not sure how pregnancy feels, being my first, but I would do it 100 times over if I could.  The girls were good to me.  I will say it was definitely one of the happiest/scariest times of my life.  I was so incredibly happy to finally be able to experience the journey of motherhood.  But at 20 weeks finding out that there is a good chance that one of your babies is not going to survive duee to having was absolutely heartbreaking.  The doctors told us that if we chose to continue on with baby C (our little Dorothy Jo now) there was a good chance of a stillbirth or having to deliver early at the risk of the other 2 babies.  I have never, until now, shared this time in our lives. Mark and I both decided that we would put it in God's hands and what would be would be.  9 weeks later  wee went in for our regularly scheduled ultrasound, again hoping that our little baby c had survived another 2 weeks.  Not only had our little miracle survived she was gaining fluid again! She continued to develop more and more fluid and gain more and more weight until finally at about 31 weeks doctors said she had gained enough she would make it. She would be in the nicu longer but she would live. I can still remember the joy I felt hearing that. And then 2 weeks and 4 days later my 3 beautiful girls entered our lives. The best moment was hearing cries from all 3 as they were brought into this world, Alyxandria, Lucille, and Dorothy. Even Dorothy Jo as tiny as she was let out a little fighting cry as she entered this world! My world was now complete. 

1 comment:

  1. As mother I was along for this happiest/scariest roller coaster ride in my baby and son-in-law's lives. How many nights in the wee hours of the morn would I pray Your will be done. As time passed Roger and I tried always be there and be strong. Fortunately that was the birth of three beautiful babies!

    ReplyDelete